Centenary of the Glennie SchoolPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth
The monument commemorates the centenary of the Glennie School and Archdeacon Benjamin Glennie in whose honour the school was named in 1908.   Since 1908, Glennie has operated on its present site on the west side of the City of Toowoomba since 1910.

‘Glennie’ so named, perpetuates the work of Archdeacon Benjamin Glennie, who first came to the Darling Downs in 1848 before the State of Queensland was established in 1859.

Benjamin Glennie (1812–1900) spent much of his life serving the spiritual needs of residents on the Darling Downs. He was also very concerned that educational facilities should be provided for the children of settlers.

Canon Glennie, as he then was, collected money where he could and sold vegetables he grew in his own garden. The money he acquired was given to the Anglican Diocese of Brisbane and used in 1898 to acquire the land on which the School now stands.

On 27 July 1908, Grace and Margaret Lawrance were invited to become the first co-principals when the Diocese of Brisbane acquired their school, St Alban’s College which had been established in the home of Mrs Cruise in Russell Street. Following Canon Glennie’s death, an endowment fund was established and became known as the Glennie Memorial School Fund. Under this title, the endowment fund attracted considerable public support and became the nucleus of the monies that built the ‘Glennie Memorial School’.

The original school building was dedicated on 10 August 1910 on its present site which was acquired by the Diocese in 1898.


Address:248 - 254 Herries Street, Glennie Middle and Senior School, Newtown, 4350
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.562433
Long: 151.936054
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Culture
Actual Event Start Date:27-July-1908
Actual Event End Date:27-July-2008
Monument Manufacturer:J. H. Wagner & Sons


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 10th August, 2008
Front Inscription

To commemorate the Centenary Year of the Glennie School and dedicated to the memory of  Archdeacon Benjamin Glennie 

1812 -1900 

Visionary priest and pioneer of the Darling Downs, in whose honour the Glennie Memorial School was named on 27 July 1908

10 August 2008 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au