150 Years of Jamieson Primary SchoolPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin

The Crab Apple tree was planted to commemorate 150 years of the Jamieson Primary School.

The Jamieson Primary School commenced unofficial classes in the 1860's and the first teacher was a Robert Goy.  Classes then were taught in a slab hut without proper facilities.  The school at this time did not have official recognition.  Robert Goy did request aid as a common school in 1862 but it was turned down.  A School Committee was formed in 1864 to seek aid for the establishment of a Common School. 

In the meantime the Catholic Church was used for classes for a tuition fee of 1 shilling per week per child.  Without consultation with the School Committee, Father Courtney asked for, and received, recognition of the school as Roman Catholic School 788 in early 1865.  As a result, the Common School application was rejected causing considerable bad feeling in the town.

After a tense few months, the Government rescinded RC School 788 and officially recognised Common School 814 in September 1865.



Address:The Sideling, Jamieson Primary School , Jamieson , 3723
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.301223
Long: 146.139561
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Tree
Monument Theme:Culture
Approx. Event Start Date:September-1865
Approx. Event End Date:September- 2015


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 31st October, 2015
Front Inscription

        Crab Apple
Planted 31st October 2015 
      to commemorate 
         150 years of 
Jamieson Primary School 
             # 814

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au