www.monumentaustralia.org.au

50th Anniversary of University of Western Australia Choral SocietyPrint Page Print this page

28-November-2021
28-November-2021
Photographs supplied by Chris Abbott

The plaque commemorates the 50th anniversary of University of Western Australia Choral Society.

Professor Alexander D. Ross, the foundation Professor of Physics and Mathematics had the idea to form a choral society within the University, and this as realized in March 1931. The first performance of the 70-voice choir was held on 8th December 1931, with co-founder and Honorary Conductor Mr. Alexander J. Leckie, in the Assembly Rooms in Pier Street, Perth.

The traditional Wednesday rehearsal was moved from the dining hall of the new St Georges College to the newly completed Winthrop Hall at the University in 1932.

Location

Address:Stirling Highway, University of WA, Whitfield Court, Winthrop Hall, Crawley, 6009
State:WA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -31.975894
Long: 115.818042
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Community
Approx. Event Start Date:1931
Approx. Event End Date:1981
Artist:

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 28th November, 1981
Approx. Monument Dedication Date:
Front Inscription

The University of Western Australia Choral
                        Society

This Plaque Was Presented By The Government
Of Western Australia On Behalf Of The People
Of The State To Commemorate The 50th Anniversary
Of The Foundation Of The University Of
Western Australia Choral Society And In
Recognition Of Its Contribution To Music In
                Western Australia
The Hon. W. L. Grayden - M.L.A.  Min. For Cultural Affairs

          November 28 - 1981

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design