www.monumentaustralia.org.au

25th Anniversary of Women`s Agricultural BureauPrint Page Print this page

05-July-2021
05-July-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The plaque commemorates the 25th anniversary of the Kilkerran Branch of the Women`s Agricultural Bureau from 1945 to 1970.

At a meeting of the Advisory Board of Agriculture in October 1917, steps were taken to form the Women’s Agricultural Bureau (WAB), a rural women’s organisation, the first of its kind in Australia. Branches, supported by a government resourced organiser were formed across the state. At its peak there were 84 branches with 2565 members of the WAB, meeting to learn and share their experiences of improving rural family living concentrating on health, nutrition, hygiene and child development and education within the constraints of isolation and distance from urban resources.

In 1999, reflecting the changing role of women in rural areas, the Women’s Agricultural Bureau became Women in Agriculture and Business.
 

Location

Address:Balgowan & Koch Roads, Bureau Park, Kilkerran, 5573
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.325745
Long: 137.586241
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Community
Approx. Event Start Date:1945
Approx. Event End Date:1970

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1970
Front Inscription

1945  - 1970 

Commemorating 25th anniversary Kilkerran Branch of the Women`s Agricultural Bureau

Park established 1959 in memory of District pioneers
 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design