www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of 1st Balaklava Scout GroupPrint Page Print this page

03-September-2020
03-September-2020

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The plaque commemorates the centenary of 1st Balaklava Scout Group from 1910 to 2010.

Balaklava Boy Scouts. By " Coo-ee,"
The two local patrols of Boy Scouts -—the Crows and the Curlews—are taking a keen interest in the work of scouting. They have spent several evenings in scouting around the town, under the direction of the Scoutmaster (Mr. R. H. Carter), and on Saturday afternoons they have gone further afield under the control of Assistant Scoutmaster W. Oldham. On Saturday last it was inconvenient for either Scoutmaster to accompany the lads, who made an excursion of their own into timbered country, where practice in hut-building was indulged in, winding up the outing with a game of "flag-raiding," in which the flag was captured by one of the Curlews. The Scouts were under the command of Curlew-Patrol F. Dyer. The lads were driven out to the meeting-place in a trap lent by Scout Sid. Harris. The afternoon was pleasantly spent.
Wooroora Producer (Balaklava, SA ), 21 April 1910.

 

Location

Address:Scotland Street, Balaklava Scout Group, Balaklava, 5461
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.149247
Long: 138.414511
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Community
Approx. Event Start Date:1910
Approx. Event End Date:2010

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 17th October, 2010
Front Inscription

 CENTENARY
     OF
1st BALAKLAVA
SCOUT GROUP
1910 - 2010
Unveiled By
FAY ROWLAND
17th October 2010

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design