Builders of Paruna HallPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The picnic area commemorates those who built the Paruna Hall in 1917.  The hall was opened on the 6th July 1917 and demolished in 1984.

Building A Hall, Paruna, Aug. 23.
A meeting was held on Wednesday last to discuss the tenders for the hall. Mr. A. A. Petch presided over a large attendance. It was decided to accept the tender of an Adelaide contractor and he has been instructed to proceed with the work as soon as possible. The Paruna Hall will rank as one of the best on the Paringa line being 40 ft long by 30 ft. wide and cost nearly £400 when completed, exclusive of the stone, lime; sand, water and carting which has been done by the settlers themselves.

At the conclusion of the meeting all present adjourned to Mr. and Mrs. Davis' house where a surprise party had been arranged to bid them farewell. Mr. Flavel was chairman and after refreshments were partaken of a large programme was rendered. A dance and supper brought a very enjoyable evening to a close.

For Saturday a working bee had been arranged to raise more stone for the hall and 32 energetic workers assembled at the quarries with five large teams of horses. Over 60 yards of stone were raised and carted.
Murray Pioneer and Australian River Record (Renmark, SA),
1 September 1916. 




Address:Alawoona - Paruna Road, Paruna, 5311
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.719648
Long: 140.729084
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Park
Monument Theme:Culture
Actual Event Start Date:06-July-1917


Front Inscription

Plaque :

This picnic area is a tribute to the pioneers who built the Paruna Hall

Erected 1917 - on this site using volunteer labour

Extended 1938 - Foundation stone incorporated into R.S.L. clubrooms

Demolished 1984

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au