100 Years of Rotary ServicePrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth

The clock was refurbished in 2005 to commemorate 100 years of service by the Rotary organisation to the community.

The town clock, a gift of the Murwillumbah Rotary Club, was placed at the junction of Main, Wharf and Queen Sts with one dial facing Wharf Street the other facing Main Street on August 21, 1952. The Murwillumbah Rotary Clock installed in Broadway in August 1952 was removed in June 1961 for an overhaul and repairs after the electrically operated mechanism had remained faulty for some time. The clock, which had been taken over by Tweed Shire Council, was converted to mechanical operation. In July 1974 the dilapidated face of the clock was given a facelift and the town’s timepiece took on a new glossy appearance.

Rotary International is an international service organization whose stated purpose is to bring together business and professional leaders in order to provide humanitarian services, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and help build goodwill and peace in the world. It is a secular organization open to all persons regardless of race, color, creed, religion, gender, or political preference.

The first Rotary Club was formed when attorney Paul P. Harris called together a meeting of three business acquaintances in downtown Chicago, at Harris' friend Gustave E. Loehr's office in the Unity Building on Dearborn Street on February 23, 1905.


Address:Wharf & Queen Streets, Murwillumbah, 2484
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -28.326658
Long: 153.398483
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Clock
Monument Theme:Culture
Actual Event Start Date:23-February-1905
Actual Event End Date:23-February-2005


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 23rd February, 2005
Front Inscription

The town clock was refurbished by the combined Rotary Clubs

Murwillumbah, Murwillumbah Central and Mt. Warning AM.

To celebrate 100 years of Rotary service to the community

23 February 2005

With sincere thanks to Tweed Shire Council

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au