www.monumentaustralia.org.au

84 SquadronPrint Page Print this page

Plaque Location
Plaque Location

Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans / Russell Byers

The plaque commemorates the personnel who served in the 84 Squadron, Royal Australian air Force (R.A.A.F.) during World War Two.

The plaque location is indicated by a red poppy in the second image. 

No. 84 Squadron was a fighter squadron which was established in February 1943 and was part of the defences of the Torres Strait area from April 1943 until May the next year. After being withdrawn from the Torres Strait the Squadron was reduced to a cadre until May 1945, when it began to receive new aircraft. No. 84 Squadron was disbanded in January 1946.

Note: This plaque was dedicated on 1 April 2001 at a ceremony held at the Australian War Memorial. Note that the dedication ceremony for this plaque was rescheduled, and as such differs from the date as inscribed on the plaque.

 

Location

Address:Fairbairn & Limestone Avenues, Captain Reg Saunders Courtyard, Australian War Memorial, Campbell, 2612
State:ACT
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.280191
Long: 149.147884
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2
Approx. Event Start Date:February-1943
Approx. Event End Date:January-1946

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 1st April, 2001
Front Inscription

84 Squadron

Formed at Richmond February 1943

Served in the South West Pacific Area

Flying Boomerangs, Kittyhawks and finally with Mustang P51K

Disbanded at Ross River January 1946

Dedicated to those who served and those who died

Lest We Forget.  Dedicated 14 April 2000

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design