www.monumentaustralia.org.au

453 SquadronPrint Page Print this page

Plaque Location
Plaque Location

Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans / Russell Byers

The plaque commemorates the personnel who served in the 453 Squadron Royal Australian Air Force (R.A.A.F.) during World War Two.

The plaque location is indicated by a red poppy in the second image. 

No. 453 Squadron was established at Bankstown, New South Wales, in 1941 as a fighter squadron, in accordance with Article XV of the Empire Air Training Scheme for overseas service with the Royal Air Force during World War Two . No. 453 Squadron saw combat first in the Malayan and Singapore campaigns of 1941–42. Severe aircraft losses effectively destroyed the squadron and it was disbanded in March 1942. A successor unit by the same name was raised in Britain from mid-1942, to take part in fighting against Nazi Germany in Europe until 1945.

 

Location

Address:Fairbairn & Limestone Avenues, Captain Reg Saunders Courtyard, Australian War Memorial, Campbell, 2612
State:ACT
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.280198
Long: 149.147892
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2
Approx. Event Start Date:1941
Actual Event End Date:15-August-1945

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 1st October, 2002
Front Inscription

453 Squadron flew Buffaloes against the Japanese in Malaya and Singapore 1941 - 1942.  

The squadron was reformed in Britain in mid 1942 and flew fighter sweeps over occupied Europe in Spitfires.  

453 Squadron supported the D-Day landings and operated from forward airfields in France and Belgium.  The squadron attacked targets in Holland and was part of the Allied occupation of Germany.

Lest We Forget

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design