www.monumentaustralia.org.au

80 SquadronPrint Page Print this page

Plaque Location
Plaque Location

Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans

The plaque commemorates the personnel who served in 80 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force (R. A. A. F.) during World War Two.

The plaque location is indicated by a red poppy in the second image. 

No. 80 Squadron was formed in September 1943 and was disbanded in July 1946 after seeing action in the South West Pacific Theatre of the war.

Note: This plaque was dedicated on 1 April 2000 at a ceremony held at the Australian War Memorial. Note that the dedication ceremony for this plaque was rescheduled, and as such differs from the date as inscribed on the plaque.

 

Location

Address:Fairbairn & Limestone Avenues, Captain Reg Saunders Courtyard, Australian War Memorial, Campbell, 2612
State:ACT
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.280651
Long: 149.148242
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2
Approx. Event Start Date:September-1943
Approx. Event End Date:July-1946

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 1st April, 2000
Front Inscription

80 Squadron RAAF

The last Kittyhawk Fighter Squadron

This plaque is provided by members of the 80 Squadron Association

To commemorate those who served in the Squadron during World War II

80 Squadron formed in September 1943 and was fully involved in the Allied advances in the South West Pacific Area until the war`s end in August 1945

In almost 13,000 hours, the Squadron flew a total of 6,829 operational sorties from bases in New Guinea, New Britain, Dutch New Guinea and Halmahera, and Tarakan In Borneo

Twenty-four of its personnel, including nineteen pilots, were lost

We will remember them

Dedicated on 24 February 1999

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design