All Saints Anglican Church War MemorialPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Ian Bevege

The stained glass window commemorates those from the Parish and District who died in service or were killed in action during World War Two.

The East Window of the church originally was a memorial to servicemen of World War One in St. Clement, Newhall in the diocese of Sheffield, England.  The area was bombed during World War Two and later became industrialised. Use of the church declined and it was closed down and demolished in 1963, and the fine five light window was made available to All Saints.   The late Lady De L’Lisle, wife of the then Governor-general of the Commonwealth was very interested in the project, and was, with the first Rector [Rev Edward Gilbert (Ted) Buckle 1959-1962, DIB] , to a large extent, responsible for the gift to All Saints’ through the Church Commissioners in England.

The window has a crucifixion scene with Saint Peter on the right and Saint Clement on the left with Isaiah, Saint Michael and David forming the base. The whole has been enclosed in a steel frame measuring eleven feet at the base rising to fifteen feet in a gothic arch. The stained glass artist responsible for the re-designing and installation was Mr Phillip Handel of Sydney. The original installation in England came from the studio of Charles Kempe.  The window has been dedicated as a War Memorial to servicemen and women of the Parish and district.

A war memorial window will be dedicated by the Archdeacon of Canberra, the Venerable F. M. Hill, in All Saints Church, Ainslie, at a special Remembrance Sunday service tomorrow at 9.30am. The High Commissioner for the United Kingdom, Sir Charles Johnston, will unveil the commemorative plaque, and the Member for the ACT, Mr J. R. Fraser, will read a lesson. The window, which was a gift from the Diocese of Sheffield, England, was originally a war memorial in the Church of Saint Clement, Newhall.  It was designed and fashioned in its present form by Mr Philip Handel, a stained glass artist of Sydney, and will be dedicated in memory of those of the district who fell in the Second World War.
The Canberra Times (ACT), 11th November 1967.

Save the Window fund was launched last Sunday to pay for repairs and maintenance to the stained-glass window at All Saints' Anglican Church, Ainslie. The window was installed in the church in 1968 (sic) as a memorial to people from the Ainslie who died as a result of World War II. During the past three years a bend of about six centimetres has occurred in the window, caused by heat and earth tremors. Repairs were done to the window last week and it is expected this will cost about $1,800. The window originally came from St Clement's, in Sheffield, UK, where it served as a memorial for about 50 years to people from that area who were killed in World War I.
The Canberra Times (ACT), 18th January 1978.



Address:Cowper & Bonney Streets, All Saints Anglican Church, Ainslie, 2602
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.264722
Long: 149.139167
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:03-September-1939
Actual Event End Date:15-August-1945
Artist:Philip Handel (Sydney, NSW)


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 12th November, 1967
Front Inscription

War Memorial Window

The east end window was dedicated on Remembrance Sunday, 12th November, 1967, by the Venerable F. M. Hill, Th. L. Archdeacon of Canberra,

To the glory of God and in memory of those of this Parish and District who gave their lives in the Second World War,
1939 - 1945.

This memorial plaque was unveiled by His Excellency Sir Charles Johnston, K.C.M.G., High Commissioner for the United Kingdom

The Reverend N. J. Chynoweth, M.A., Th. L.  Rector.
C. J. Wadie,  H. S. Clarke,  W.. L. Perry,  Wardens.

Source: MA, SKP
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design