www.monumentaustralia.org.au

8th Division Memorial AvenuePrint Page Print this page

Eighth Division Memorial Avenue 2007
Eighth Division Memorial Avenue 2007

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson / Peter F Williams / Roger Johnson

The avenue of trees commemorates those who died in service or were killed in action while serving with the 8th Division during World War Two. The memorial avenue was opened in 1957. 

MUNICIPALITY OF GUNNEDAH — Renaming of Road — Notice is hereby given that the Council has, by resolution passed on 11th February, 1958, altered the name of the road shown hereunder, in accordance with the provisions of section 249 (a) of the Local Government Act, 1919, and Ordinance No. 30 made thereunder:—Old name: Hill-street; new name: Eighth Division Memorial avenue.—Dated at the Town Hall, Gunnedah, this twentieth day of February, 1958. A. H. PALMER, Town Clerk.
Government Gazette of the State of New South Wales (Sydney), 21 February 1958.

Location

Address:8th Division Memorial Avenue, Gunnedah, 2380
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -30.983517
Long: 150.25288
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Avenue of Honour
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2
Actual Event Start Date:03-September-1939
Actual Event End Date:15-August-1945

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 8th December, 1957
Front Inscription

IN MEMORY OF THE FALLEN
OF THE 8TH DIVISION
AND SUPPORTING FORCES
1939 - 1945

This Memorial Avenue Was Opened On 8/12/1957 By 
Lt General H Gordon Bennett 

C.B.-C.M.G.-D.S.O.-V.D.
Commander 8th Div.

 

Source: MA,SKP,NRWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design