www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Finley War Memorial Swimming PoolPrint Page Print this page

Amenities Plaque: 26-March-2016
Amenities Plaque: 26-March-2016

Photographs supplied by Erich Nussbaumer
The War Memorial Swimming Pool commemorates those from the district who died in service or were killed in action during World War Two. The Memorial Pool was officially opened on the 1st December 1962 with the dedication plaque unveiled to the fallen on the 25th April 1963. A new amenities block was opened on the 10th March 1984. In 2020, funding was received to replace the amenities block and provide associated landscaping.  

The outdated and unattractive amenities building at the community-run Finley War Memorial Swimming Pool will be replaced with a modern fit-for-purpose building. The new amenities building will include change and toilet facilities – including facilities for families and the disabled as well as a new, modern kiosk area. The new attractive building will be easier to maintain and ease the burden on community volunteers and encourage use of the facility. The building and associated landscaping, prominently located on the northern approach to Finley, will also improve the visual amenity of the town and engender civic pride. 
Berrigan Shire Council.

Location

Address:Newell Highway, Finley, 2713
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.633803
Long: 145.580348
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2
Actual Event Start Date:03-September-1939
Actual Event End Date:15-August-1945

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Thursday 25th April, 1963
Front Inscription
Plaque: 
                     DEDICATED BY
WING COMMANDER RICHARD KINGSLAND, D.F.C.
               ON ANZAC DAY 1963
"THE GAVE THEIR LIVES THAT WE MIGHT LIVE" 
                       1939 -1945

                         (Names) 

Plaque: 
THIS WAR MEMORIAL SWIMMING POOL
OFFICIALLY OPENED BY
HIS EXCELLENCY THE GOVERNOR OF NEW SOUTH WALES

LIEUTENANT-GENERAL SIR ERIC WOODWARD
K.C.M.G., C.B., C.B.E., D.S.O.
On 1st December, 1962
Was Constructed By The Berrigan Shire Council
From Funds Contributed By The Residents Of Finley And District With Government Assistance. 
W.F.Alexander    President   Berrigan Shire Council         
F.S.Dobbin   President     Finley War Memorial     
Mrs A.E.Woodhams  Secretary  Swimming Pool Committee


Plaque: 
BERRIGAN SHIRE COUNCIL
FINLEY WAR MEMORIAL
SWIMMING POOL
THIS AMENITIES BLOCK
WAS OFFICIALLY OPENED BY
THE MEMBER FOR MURRAY,
MR.T.A.FISCHER, M.P.
ON SATURDAY, 10TH MARCH, 1984.
M.J.CAUCHI      COMMITTEE PRESIDENT 
I.M.TUBBS         SHIRE PRESIDENT
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design