www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Soldiers Memorial Presbyterian ChurchPrint Page Print this page

Soldiers Memorial Presbyterian Church Inscription
Soldiers Memorial Presbyterian Church Inscription

Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams

The former Presbyterian Memorial Church was erected to commemorate local residents who died in service or were killed in action in World War One. 

The church was opened in 1928 by the Governor-General Lord Stonehaven and the dedication was performed by the Moderator-General Dr Scott West, The church has been preserved as part of the KirkPlace development. 

The Governor-General (Lord Stonehaven) paid his first official visit to the Kogarah district on Saturday afternoon, when he opened the new Presbyterian Church erected as a memorial to the local residents who lost their lives in the war. It was very difficult, his Excellency said, to know what was an appropriate war memorial, but he thought the most appropriate of all was a church, for the reason that many of them believed that the preparations made by their enemy were so complete that within all human calculations Britain and her Allies should have been beaten within the first six weeks, and that nothing but Divine intervention prevented that happening. He believed that. Then, for those of the congregation who had lost their boys in the war, surely no place could be more appropriate than the House of God as a memorial. The dedication was performed by the Moderator-General (Rev. Dr. Scott West).
Sydney Mail (NSW), 20 June 1928.

Location

Address:Kensington & Derby Streets, former Presbyterian Memorial Church, Kogarah, 2217
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.965929
Long: 151.133007
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 16th June, 1928
Front Inscription

Soldiers Memorial Presbyterian Church

This stone was laid by the Very Rev. R. G. Macintyre C.M.G., O.B.E., M.A.,D.D.,

11th February 1923

Minister  Rev. A. Dunnett Robertson

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design