Newington College Memorial DrivePrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Scott Brandon Smith

The Memorial Drivewas originally planted with 75 poplars, each with a cross at the foot bearing a plaque with the name of an individual ex-student who died in World War One.

The poplars, many of which had died, were replaced by a new avenue of trees in 1966 and a dedicatory tablet established at the entrance to the driveway.

Fifty of the individual plaques are now in the College Archives. Originally dedicated on the 29th of February 1936, it was re-dedicated on 24th of September 1966.

The Millner memorial gates at Newington College, Stanmore, presented by Colonel T. J. Millner in memory of his father (the late Mr. W. J. Millner), were officially opened by Mrs. W. J. Millner on Saturday afternoon. A memorial avenue of Lombardy poplar trees, from the gates to the war memorial, was dedicated by the president of the Methodist Conference, the Rev. E. Coplln Thomas. The avenue is a further memorial to old Newingtonians who fell in the Great War. Over 600 of them went overseas, and 109 did not return. Immediately after the war a handsome stone memorial, designed by G. Hardie Wilson, was erected to those who fell. There are 75 poplars in the avenue, and at the dedication ceremony on Saturday a tablet of remembrance, inscribed with the name, was placed at the foot of each tree by the next of-kin. A further memorial avenue of 34 Jacaranda trees will be formed shortly. The Rev. Dr. C. J. Prescott, former headmaster of Newington College, Mr. J. Stewart Spence, president of the Old Newingtonians' Union, and Colonel T. J. Millner delivered addresses.
Sydney Morning Herald (NSW),  2 March 1936.

Note : There is an error in the newspaper extract above, which is the designer of the stone memorial was William Hardy Wilson, not G. Hardie Wilson



Address:200 Stanmore Road, Newington College, Stanmore, 2048
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.896944
Long: 151.163889
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Avenue of Honour
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 29th February, 1936
Front Inscription

Newington College

Memorial Drive

Back Inscription

Newington College

The Millner Gates and Memorial Drive

Source: NRWM, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au