Soldiers` Memorial HallPrint Page Print this page

Ipswich Soldiers Memorial Hall
Ipswich Soldiers Memorial Hall

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

The hall was erected to commemorate those who died in service or were killed in action during World War One. 

The Returned Soldiers and Sailors Imperial League of Australia was formed in 1916 and a branch opened in Ipswich in September 1917. As the end of the war approached in 1918, the Ipswich branch requested land suitable for a building which could be a recreation hall and war memorial.

The hall was funded by Ipswich City Council and public fund-raising. When originally built, it contained the School of Arts library, recreation facilities for returned soldiers, offices for the RSSAILA and associated organisations and a memorial 'crypt' or honour chamber.

The foundation stone for the hall which was erected on the site of the old pump yard in Central Gardens in Nicholas Street was laid by General Sir W.R. Birdwood K.C., C.M.G., on the 4th May 1920. The official opening ceremony was performed by the Governor of Queensland, Sir Matthew Nathan on the 26th November 1921.
Queensland Times, Ipswich 20th October & 28th November 1921.


Address:63 Nicholas Street, Ipswich, 4305
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.615614
Long: 152.758384
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Designer:George Brockwell Gill
Monument Manufacturer:F. J. Lye


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 26th November, 1921
Front Inscription

In remembrance

This building was erected by the citizens of Ipswich

In honour of the men who gave their lives for King and Country in the Great War 1914 - 1918.

Their name liveth for evermore


Right Side Inscription

Soldiers Memorial Hall

This stone was laid by General Sir W. R. Birdwood Bt.G.C.M.G.

May 4. 1920

Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au