Memorial HallPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders / Roger Johnson

The hall commemorates those who served in World War One.   It was officially opened by Senator Elliott on the 14th April 1923. 

The Soldiers' Memorial Hall was opened on Saturday at Hopetoun, when the memorial tablet was unveiled and the clubroom was handed over for use. Those present included Brigadier - General Elliott, Mr. G. L. Goudie, M.L.C, and Mr D. Allison, M.L.A. The building is of brick. The main hall is 65ft. in length and 40ft. in width, and there are reading room and library. The diggers' club room on the second story is 20ft. x 20ft. The memorial tablet was unveiled by mothers of deceased soldiers. The hall was officially opened by Brigadier-General Elliott. Mr C. Wright, president of the local branch of the Returned Soldiers' Association, accepted the club-room on behalf of returned soldiers, and thanked the public for the generous gift.
Weekly Times (Melbourne), 21 April 1923.


Address:14 Austin Street, Hopetoun, 3396
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.727549
Long: 142.364285
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 14th April, 1923
Front Inscription

Memorial Hall

A. D. 1922

Plaque :

This building was erected - by - a grateful public as a tribute to the men of Hopetoun and District who fought in the Great War

1914 - 1918.

A monument to those who fell.

This tablet was unveiled by bereaved mothers.

Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au