Avenue of HonourPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Dawn Missen

The Avenue of Honour commemorates the 26 soldiers who served in World War One.   

The 100 metre long avenue commemorates only those men who had enlisted by 1916, with a memorial board in the Eurack Recreational Hall commemorating others who enlisted later. Three trees on the avenue were replaced in 2011. 

Each tree is marked with a painted concrete cross, which replaced original wooden crosses, and bears the names of the soldier, or soldiers, it commemorates.

The planting of the Avenue commenced as an Arbour Day project for the Eurack School in May 1916 on the initiative of Lieutenant George Pentreath, then head teacher of the school who enlisted in July 1916. Each tree is marked with a stylised white painted concrete cross bearing the name of the soldier it commemorates inscribed on a black marble plate.  The Eurack Avenue of Honour is the earliest known avenue of honour to be planted in Victoria.

Six of the trees are dedicated to brothers. One of the crosses commemorates Lord Kitchener, the British Secretary of State for War who was killed in 1916 when HMS Hampshire struck a mine en route to Russia.


Address:Eurack Road, Eurack, 3251
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.145256
Long: 143.7112
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Avenue of Honour
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919


Actual Monument Dedication Date:April, 1916
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au