Obley War MemorialPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

The War Memorial commemorates those from the district who served in World War One. It was unveiled in August 1922 by the Honourable C. J. Dunn. 

It is a white obelisk with marble name plates engraved with crossed rifles, and the Union Jack with the Australian National flag. The monument  rests upon an expansive base, the whole surrounded by a fence with four pillars. A flag staff and "Lone Pine" accompanies it.

The residents of Obley have decided to erect an obelisk to the soldiers who took part in the big war, and the committee have decided on the work being carried out by Mr. C. J. Shakespeare. There were 13 men who enlisted from Obley, 5 of whom were killed while five others were wounded. The memorial will be 13 feet high, and will be surrounded by an iron railing, and it will be erected on a piece of ground near the public school. It is intended to ask the Governor-General to perform the unveiling ceremony during his country tour if he comes to Wellington for the annual show which is to be held in May.
Wellington Times (NSW),  27 February 1922.



Address:Tomingley Road, Obley, 2868
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.705042
Long: 148.547922
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Designer:C. J. Shakespeare (Wellington & Molong, NSW)


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 19th August, 1922
Front Inscription

They Heard The Call And Answered.


In Memory Of
Those Who Fought And Fell In
The Great War 1914 - 1918

[ Names ]

Source: SKP, NRWM, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au