Memorial Clock Tower Print Page Print this page

Memorial Clocktower : 16- Agust-2014
Memorial Clocktower : 16- Agust-2014

Photographs supplied by Stephen Woods / Peter F Williams / Sandra Brown / Roger Johnson

The clock tower and arch commemorate the citizens of Gunnedah and District who served in World War One. The clock tower was officially opened on the 11th August, 1937. The arch was part of the Town Hall building which was opened 25th March 1926. The arch still had to be completed at the time of the unveiling. 

Gunnedah's Memorial Clock Tower was officially opened by Sir Charles Rosenthal on Wednesday morning. On arrival at the Town Hall, Sir Charles inspected the guard of honor, comprising members of Gunnedah's detachment of the 33rd Battalion, under Captain Gordon Studdy. He also inspected and chatted with members of a strong body of returned men, and renewed acquaintances with men who had been associated with him overseas during the Great War. Prior to the official opening of the Clock Tower, Sir Charles and Lady Rosenthal were extended a civic reception.
Daily Examiner (Grafton, NSW), 13 August 1937.



Address:152 Conadilly Street, Gunnedah Town Hall, Gunnedah, 2380
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -30.976662
Long: 150.25155
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Clock
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Designer:F. J. Bishop (Architect-clock tower)


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 26th June, 1937
Front Inscription

Plaque :

This clock tower has been erected to perpetuate the memory of those citizens of Gunnedah and District who served with His Majesty`s forces during 1914 - 18

E. W. Westerweller Mayor

Plaque :

Municipality of Gunnedah

Memorial Clock Tower completed - 26th June 1937.

E. W. Westerweller. Mayor
P. H. Stanley. Deputy Mayor

Aldermen J. G. Cock.      J. G. Ogilvie.  E. A. Iceton.
                 R. B. Bowen.  J. Enks.         J. McDonnell.  E. Griffiths.

A. H. Palmer  Town Clerk.   F. J. Bishop.  Architect.  C. H. Grey. Overseer.
Officially opened by Major-General the Hon. Sir Charles Rosenthal K.C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O., V.D., M.L.C., on 11th August 1937


Source: SKP,NRWM, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au