New England Grammar School Honour Roll Print Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth

The honour roll commemorates former students  of the New England Grammar School who served in World War One. 

We had the opportunity yesterday of inspecting an honor roll, the construction of which was entrusted to Messrs. Frater and Mills, and have no hesitation in commending the extraordinary skill displayed in the job. It stands 6 feet high to the pediment, and Pacific oak has been employed with splendid effect. There are two panels, separated and flanked by cylindrical columns. The pediment bears the name of the New England Grammar School, Glen Innes, to whose old boys who fought and fell in the great war the memorial is dedicated.

The school motto is carved in relief, and for the excellence of this Mr. Brown, who has recently taken up his residence in Armidale, is responsible. It is, to a judge, one of the most noteworthy details of an excellent whole. The wood throughout has been arranged to obtain the most attractive effect from the graining. The whole of the joinery was carried out by Mr. Faulkenhridge, of Messrs, Frater and Mills' staff. The gilt inscription was the work of Mr. Alf. Richards.


Address:West Avenue & Ferguson Street, Land of the Beardies History House Museum & Research Centre, Glen Innes, 2370
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -29.734565
Long: 151.732762
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Honour Roll
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Artist:Mr Alf Richards (inscription)
Monument Manufacturer:Mr Faulkenbridge (Messrs Frater & Mills)


Front Inscription

New England Grammar School

Honour Roll 

World - War     1914 - 1918

[ Names ]

Source: MA,NRWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design