www.monumentaustralia.org.au

The Heroic DeadPrint Page Print this page

08-July-2018
08-July-2018

Photographs supplied by John Huth

The Eastern Church Bell was restored to Christian use in memory of those who died in service or were killed in action in World War One.

The bell is the oldest church bell in Australia, and it was installed by the Emperor Constantine in 320 A.D., and was stolen and brought to Australia.  Constantine was the first Emporer of the Roman Empire to convert to Christianity in 325 A.D.

 

 

Location

Address:56 Racecourse Road, St Augustine`s Anglican Church, Hamilton , 4007
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.436619
Long: 153.064013
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Technology
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919

Dedication

Front Inscription

             A. M. D. G.
This Eastern Church bell, rescued by the 
Allies in 1918 from a ruined mosque, is 
here restored to Christian use in memory  
of the HEROIC DEAD, being the gift 
of Capt. & Mrs. W. Campbell Thomson

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design