The Southport School Honour RollPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth

The wooden honour roll commemorates former students of the school who served in World War One.

A deeply impressive address was delivered on Sunday morning by His Grace Dr. Sharp, Archbishop-elect of Brisbane, at the consecration of a chapel erected by the Southport Church of England Boys' Grammar School in honour of its old boys and scholars who had participated in the Great War.  The new chapel is of Gothic design, and has cost £8000. It stands on tho summit of the rise on the school's sports ground, and will eventually form one side of a great, quadrangle when the present school buildings are replaced by stone structures. One hundred feet long and 30ft wide, the building is 40ft. high from the floor to the apex of the roof. The seats are arranged in three tiers, and are placed longitudinally, thus resembling old English colleges.

The altar steps rise directly from the main floor, and at the west end there is an organ gallery, below which is a handsome gallery of Queensland oak. An honour board has been erected on the western wall, and in the centre panel the names of those who made the supreme sacrifice appear. The side panels contain the names of those who enlisted. A marble slab occupies the centre of the floor, and it sets out the date and purpose of dedication. Christ's ascension is depicted in stained glass windows situated above the altar, whilst one of the side windows is a tribute to fallen Southportonians from St. Hilda's Church of England Girls' Grammar School. Many of the interior fittings have been donated by parents in honour of their sons.
Daily Mail (Brisbane), 15 November 1921. 





Address:2 Winchester Street, St Alban`s Chapel, The Southport School, Southport, 4215
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.986552
Long: 153.414328
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Honour Roll
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 13th November, 1921
Front Inscription

[ Names ]

Requiescant In Pace

[ Names ]



Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au