Centenary of the Dedication of ANZAC AvenuePrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Stephen Woods

The plaque commemorates the centenary of the dedication of ANZAC Avenue.

In August 1916, relatives on Australian servicemen planted 70 brush box and wattle trees in Hill Street, which was renamed ANZAC Avenue.

Although it was originally intended to hold Anzac Day nearly two months ago, the continual postponement till last Saturday in no way reduced the enthusiasm of the people who attended this celebration. A small Citizens' Committee had the matter in hand, and had given considerable attention to details — so necessary in functions of this kind. At 2 p.m. sharp some hundred residents assembled at the corner of Porter Street and Hill Street (now known ' as 'Anzac Avenue'). Mr. W. A. Chapman, as Chairman of the Committee, in introduction called on Cr. F. R. Archbold, President of the Shire (and who was accompanied by Mr. M. C. Ogden, Shire Clerk) to formally dedicate Anzac Avenue. This the President did, remarking that the honor the people were conferring on the Wyong lads by altering the name of the street and planting it with ornamental trees, was one that he was sure the lads would appreciate. Cr. Archbold made a few remarks on the world's great war, and closed with an appeal to the teamsters to avoid, if they possibly could, in wet weather using Anzac Avenue for heavy traffic. They had Alison Road — a good metalled road near by — which they could use without any inconvenience.

Tree-planting was then commenced. Each person present, who had a relative at the war, was given a tree. The variety planted was brush box, while a wattle was planted at each corner. About 70 in all were given a start, and judging by the interest which the relatives displayed, the Committee feel that individual care will be shown to see that the trees grow. The people then adjourned to the Post Office, where a Roll of Honor (an elaborate maple board) was unveiled in the presence of quite 400 citizens. This ceremony was performed by Mrs. E. J. Goldsmith, the mother of Private Ray Goldsmith, the only Wyong boy who to date has fallen in this great war. Addresses were delivered by Cr. A. Wilkinson and Rev. Father O'Regan, the latter gentleman expressing some fine sentiments on behalf of the parents of the lads whose names were inscribed on the Roll. Mr. W. Baldwin spoke on Mrs. Goldsmith's behalf. "Rule Brittania" and "God Save the King" closed the proceedings. Rev. E. H. Burgmann, who had taken an active part on the Committee, was unable to be present, having been called away to a funeral at Ourimbah. His apology was received, also one from Dr. Tomlinson.
Gosford Times and Wyong District Advocate (NSW), 18 August 1916.


Address:ANZAC Avenue & Margaret Street, Frank Ballance Memorial Park, Wyong, 2259
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.281738
Long: 151.423037
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:12-August-1916
Actual Event End Date:12-August-2016


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 12th August, 2016
Front Inscription

100 Years of ANZAC
The Spirit Lives
2014 - 2018

ANZAC Avenue (previously Hill St) was formally dedicated on 12 August 1916 in honour of the Wyong men who served in the Great War.

On that day relatives of the men involved in the war planted 70 brush box and wattle trees along the length of the avenue.

This plaque, unveiled on 12 August 2016, commemorates the centenary of the event.

Wyong Family History Group Inc.  
Tree of Life

Wyong RSL Sub Branch

Wyong Shire Council

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au