St Paul`s Lych GatePrint Page Print this page

22-October-2015 (Chris McLaughlin)
22-October-2015 (Chris McLaughlin)

Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin / John Huth

The lych gate was originally erected at the former Manaro Grammar School to commemorate those who died in service or were killed in action during World War One.  The foundation stone for the lych gate was laid at the Grammar School by the vice President in April 1923. 

Those who interested themselves in the provision of the War Memorial lych gate at the now defunct Manaro Grammar School, Cooma, will be pleased to learn that the gate is now in course of re-erection at St. Paul's Church, under the supervision of Mr. Aubrey Morgan. It is well known that there has been a friendly dispute between the local Church authorities and Council of the Canberra Grammar School as regards the trusteeship of the gate.

The latter authorities claimed that the Canberra Grammar School was the logical successor to the Manaro Grammar School, and was therefore entitled to the gate, The Rector of Cooma, however, insisted that as it was a Manaro Memorial it should remain on Monaro. With this view the liquidator of the Manaro school agreed, and the gate consequently handed over to the Rector and Wardens of St. Paul's as trustees in perpetuity. It is expected His Excellency the Governor will open the gate on his proposed visit to Cooma. 
The Manaro Mercury, and Cooma and Bombala Advertiser (NSW), 
12 December 1930.


Address:136 Commissioner Street, St Paul`s Anglican Church, Cooma, 2630
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.237794
Long: 149.123091
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Gate
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 18th April, 1923
Front Inscription

This stone below was laid by F. Blaxland Esq.

To commemorate the erection of this lych gate on this site on 18th April 1923.

Left Side Inscription

Erected by the old boys of the Manaro Grammar School

To the memory of their comrades who fell

Right Side Inscription

The Great War

1914 - 1918

[ Names ]

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au