Battle of One Tree HillPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth

The cross commemorates the Battle of One Tree Hill which is the best known of a series of conflicts between European settlers and the Aboriginal inhabitants of the Darling Downs in the 1840`s.

Between 1841 and 1848, the Jaggera headman ‘Old Moppy,’ his son Multuggerah and other headmen led many raids and sieges.  Their allies – the ‘Mountain tribes’ – conducted similar resistance on the Darling Downs plateau and as far as Cunningham’s Gap. 

During 11 days of continual siege of all cattle runs in the valley below, a cavalcade of 3 heavily-loaded drays (each with several bullocks) armed with extra protection (18 men with guns) was sent up towards the Darling Downs from Ipswich.  Multuggerah and over 100 warriors fenced up the road and successfully ambushed and sacked this cavalcade between Mount Tabletop and Mount Davidson, sending all 18 men fleeing. Later the same day, a force of 30-45 squatters and servants arrived to avenge the ambush, only to be driven back by a shower of spears and boulders from Multuggerah’s forces on the spur of Mount Tabletop and possibly Mount Davidson.

This was ‘the Battle of One Tree Hill.’ It was immortalized in the bush ballad ‘Raid of the Aborigines’.  For the emerging Queensland squattocracy, it was a humiliating defeat of some of their most respected representatives – some of whom became major political figures.  In the days that followed, a force of up to 75 squatters, servants, border police, and soldiers from the 99th Detachment undertook a 3-week pursuit of Multuggerah’s forces (now over 300 warriors), covering 20 kilometres to Rosewood Scrub. The pursuit involved skirmishes and counter-raids by both sides.

A temporary peace was negotiated. A permanent military depot was established at Helidon to regularly accompany drays up the pass to the Darling Downs. Multuggerah and his successors continued raiding drays and cattle runs, including fighting travellers near Mount Tabletop.  This halted settlement in some areas. Some attacks continued as late as the 1850s and 1860s.

One Tree Hill is now known as Table Top Mountain.




Address:Herries & Ruthven Streets, St Luke`s Anglican Church , Toowoomba, 4350
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.565285
Long: 151.953126
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Cross
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:12-September-1843
Actual Event End Date:12-September-1843
Artist:Uncle Colin Isaacs


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 14th November, 2016
Front Inscription

Commemorating the Battle of One Tree Hill


Uncle Colin Isaacs

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design