Gold DiscoveryPrint Page
Cairn erected in memory of the pioneers commemorates the discovery of gold in 1851 -1853.
Mr. H. A. Boardman initiated the project to build this memorial cairn which was constructed by the Steiglitz Gold Centenary Committee and working bees of local interested people. The 3 bottom stones on the front face come from the 2 homesteads that covered the whole of the local area when gold was discovered, the `Moranghurk` and `Durdidwarrah` homesteads.
Gold rushes to the area did not take place until late 1855 after Hooley and Davis discovered a rich reef at Steiglitz . Gold from this reef, when assayed at Geelong, went 72 ounces to the ton. The assay results saw Steiglitz rushed and there were soon 200 miners on the field. During the next four years, the bulk of Steiglitz`s reefs (over forty) were discovered: the more important being the New Chum, Boxing, Portuguese, Yankee Smith, Sailors, Ironbark, Hanover, Victoria, Gibraltar, Tam-O-Shanter and New Years. The working of the reefs at Steiglitz turned the place into the mining division`s most important, though relatively small in comparison to other Victorian fields, quartz mining centre.
Sixty years ago Steiglitz was a thriving town of 9,000 people. There were seven hotels, two banks, a mayor, a public library, a Cobb and Co. coaching station. Today 11 adults live in this ghost gold town. In this year of Gold Centenary Celebrations, Steiglitz, one of the first places in Victoria where gold was discovered, felt it was being forgotten.
A man whose grandfather was one of the original gold seekers, who is the third generation of Steiglitz district residents, Cr. H. A. Boardman, of Bannockburn Shire, had a plan. "I would like to hear from those residents-we all would-because in December, our anniversary, we would like to have a gathering of the old clan, and erect a memorial cairn to those who went before us. We could build the cairn-just a modest epitaph, you know-down at New Chum Bridge, coming into the town, the place where gold was first discovered."
The Argus (Melbourne), 11th July 1951.
|Address:||Clow & Regent Streets, Steiglitz Historic Park, Steiglitz, 3331|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.880833|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1951|
Erected 1951 In memory of the Pioneers of Steiglitz and the discovery of gold 1851 - 1853