Henry HellyerPrint Page
Plaque on grave recognises the pioneering work of Henry Hellyer, explorer and surveyor.
When the Van Dieman`s land Company was formed Hellyer was one of the first to sign on, utilising his skills to transform the land of north west Tasmania. He named Valentine`s Peak, designed the now-historic "Highfield House" in Stanley and, most importantly he made a road.
Hellyer wanted to link the remote inland settlements with the growing coastal town of Emu Bay, known today as Burnie. Local legend has it that with little more than a bullock gang and crude hand tools he carved his way through the dense forest into the wild hills. The road was a success and subsequently named after him
|Address:||Harrison Terrace & Browns Road, Cemetery, Stanley, 7331|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -40.759432|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
Henry Hellyer, Surveyor 1970 - 1832. This plaque is in recognition of the pioneering work of Henry Hellyer as Surveyor, Explorer, Engineer and Architect for the Van Diemen`s Land Company in North West Tasmania between the years 1827 to 1832.