Henry HellyerPrint Page
A cairn believed to be erected in 1831 by Henry Hellyer, has a plaque attached to it which commemorates his work as a surveyor with the Van Dieman`s Land Company. When Hellyer built the cairn, half of Tasmania (Van Diemen`s Land) west of the meridian that passes through Port Sorell was uninhabited by Europeans except for small settlements.
The cairn is the oldest intact piece of evidence of European colonisation in the western half of Tasmania.
( The image from March 1989 shows from left Surveyor-General, Chris Rowe, Brian Rollins, John Medbury and Nick Griggs )
|Address:||Belvoir Road, Mount Prospect, Black Buff Range, approximately 10 kilometres west of Middlesex, Middlesex, 7306|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.5225|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||April-1831|
|Approx. Event End Date:||July-1831|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 11th March, 1989|
Henry Hellyer, Surveyor 1790 - 1832
This plaque was placed by the members of the Institution of Surveyors Australia to commemorate the work of Henry Hellyer in mapping the Van Diemens Land Company land grants.
The cairn is believed to have been erected by Hellyer in 1831.
It is one of the oldest survey monuments in Tasmania.
Unveiled by the Surveyor General C. M. Rowe 11 March 1989.
Donated by Electrolytic Zinc Co. Ltd.