www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Harry Malcolm RogersPrint Page Print this page

Harry Rogers
Harry Rogers

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson / Graeme Saunders

The fountain was erected to commemorate councillor Harry Malcolm Rogers. The fountain is a large tall central column supported by four smaller columns with griffins. 

Harry Rogers was very active in the civic and social life of Coburg between the wars. Throughout his life he had devoted himself to the work of improving reserves, equipping children's playgrounds and organising sporting activities.

He was one of three elected to Council in August 1931. Harry was made Chairman of the Parks and Gardens Committee, but his time on Council was short. He attended his last meeting on 9 August 1933 and, contracting pneumonia, died the next month at the age of 46.

A fountain erected to the memory of the late Cr. H. M. Rogers was unveiled in Bell street gardens, Coburg, yesterday afternoon. Cr. Rogers was secretary of Coburg Football Club for 25 years, and was also secretary of the cricket club for many years before becoming its president. In addition he was president of Coburg District Cricket Association. The memorial was subscribed by the citizens of Coburg and sporting organisations in the district. The mayor of Coburg (Cr. N. L. Martin) presided, and the fountain was unveiled by Cr. McDonald, chairman of the Coburg recreation reserve committee.
Age (Melbourne), 9 December 1935.

Location

Address:Bell Street, Bridges Reserve, Coburg, 3058
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.741731
Long: 144.968411
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Fountain
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - Local

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 8th December, 1935
Front Inscription

Erected By
The Citizens Of Coburg
To Perpetuate The Memory Of
Cr. Harry Malcolmson Rogers
1935

Source: MA,VMR
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design