www.monumentaustralia.org.au

James HutchisonPrint Page Print this page

12-May-2018
12-May-2018

Photographs supplied by John Huth

The park commemorates James (Cobby) Hutchison who was once a former groomsman with Cobb & Co,who established a fuel merchant and transport business.   In 1893 he was elected as an alderman on the Sandgate Municipal Council.

.

Location

Address:Kate & Friday Streets, Hutchison Park, Sandgate, 4017
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.325932
Long: 153.080372
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Park
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - Local

Dedication

Front Inscription

Hutchison Park

This park was named by the Brisbane City Council in 1951 to honour James (Cobby) Hutchison.

James Hutchison, born 4 March 1853 at Edentrillich, County Down, Ireland, arrived in Moreton Bay aboard Renfrewshire on 16 September 1875 as a free settler. His future wife Mary Scanlan, born 15 June 1855 at Breaffa, County Clare, Ireland, arrived 10 August 1875 as a remittance passenger aboard Ophelia. They were married on 9 January 1877 at Cranbrook, Upper Esplanade, Sandgate [ site of Eagle88, Eagle Terrace]. Establishing their home in Rainbow Street [close by Cobb Street], they had twelve children.

James Hutchison was a groomsman with Cobb and Co. Later when self-employed he established a family fuel merchant and transport business. He had a keen interest in community affairs and in 1893 he was elected an alderman on the Sandgate Municipal Council. The first meeting he attended was in the Town Hall in Kate Street [now Pier Avenue] on 4 March 1893.

James died 19 January 1930, Mary died 5 December 1941. They are buired in the family grave in the Bald Hills Historical Cemetery.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design