Alfred Thomas PillingerPrint Page
He was born in Antill Ponds, near Oatlands, the son of James Pillinger and his wife Sophia, née Peters. He was educated at private schools and Horton College in Ross, Tasmania
He was the member for Oatlands in the Tasmanian House of Assembly from 17 July 1876 until his death on the 6th of May 1899. In October 1888 he joined the Philip Fysh Government as Minister of Lands and Works.
There is on view at Mr Thos. Gillon's monumental works, Harrington street, a handsome tablet to the memory of the late Hon A T. Pillinger, M H A , which is to be erected in the Town hall at Oatlands. The tablet is of white marble, set in a frame of black slate, in the Oxford frame pattern. The tablet will probably be unveiled at Oatlands next week.
The Mercury (Hobart), 24th April 1906
|Address:||High Street, Oatlands Town Hall, Oatlands, 7120|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -42.299847|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Colonial|
|Monument Designer:||Thos. Gillon|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1906|
The Honourable Alfred Thomas Pillinger, M.H.A.
Born at Woodbury 11th May 1839,
Died at Hobart 6th May 1899.
Accorded a State Funeral as a Minister of the Crown and buried at Cornelian Bay Cemetery.
A councillor of this Municipality for a quarter of a century, filling the Wardens`chair for 3 years.
Member of Oatlands in the House of Assembly for 23 years, during 9 of which `Held office`, being Minister of Lands in two cabinets.
"His life was gentle, and the elements
So mixed in him, that nature might stand up
And say to all the world. This was a man !"
Erected by the people of the Oatlands District & numerous other friends throughout Tasmania