www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Comte de Jean Francois de Galaup de la Perouse ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page

13-October-2017
13-October-2017

Photographs supplied by Peter Reynders

A monument commemorates the expedition of French navigator and explorer Comte de Jean Francois de Galaup de la Perouse.

Comte de Jean Francois de Galaup de la Perouse  (1741-1788) was a French explorer and naval officer who landed in Sydney just five days after Captain Arthur Phillip set foot on Botany Bay, January 26, 1788.   La Perouse established a camp on the northern shore, now called after him, and maintained good relations with the English during his six-week stay. He sailed on 10 March 1788  and was not heard of again. His disappearance led the French government in 1791 to equip another expedition under Bruny d'Entrecasteaux to look for him, but the search was fruitless.

It was not until 1828 that the mystery was solved, when Dumont d'Urville ascertained that the La Pérouse expedition was wrecked at Vanikoro, Santa Cruz, north of the New Hebrides.

 

Location

Address:Monaro Crescent & La Perouse Street, Navigators Park, Red Hill, 2603
State:ACT
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.340427
Long: 149.131899
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Exploration
Monument Designer:Suzie Bleach and Andrew Townsend
Monument Manufacturer:Paul Westra
Link:http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/adbonli…

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:May-2014
Front Inscription

Suzie Bleach and Andrew Townsend

Foundry - Paul Westra

La Perouse 2014

Bronze 

Jean-Francois de Galaup, compte de La Perouse led a French naval expedition to the Pacific Ocean in 1785.  His two ships La Boussole and L`Astrolabe made extensive explorations of its coasts, islands and atolls,  They sailed into Botany Bay in January 1788, only days after the arrival of the First Fleet.

Following thier depature six weeks later, both ships were wrecked on the reefs of Vanikoro in the Solomon Islands.

Installed May 2014

Back Inscription


 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design