www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of Northern TerritoryPrint Page Print this page

OShea Fountain
OShea Fountain

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

The drinking fountain was erected to commemorate the centenary of the Northern Territory from 1860 to 1960. It was erected by family members in memory of pioneer settlers Timothy & Catherine O`Shea. The fountain is no longer functioning. 

In 1860 John McDouall Stuart reached Central Mount Stuart in the Centre of the continent. In subsequent years he explored further northward, completing the south-north crossing in July, 1862. The explorations of Stuart eventually resulted in the 1863 annexation of a huge area of country to the Government of South Australia. This area became known as the Northern Territory.

In 1909, Timothy and Catherine (O’Keefe) O`Shea arrived in Port Darwin ready to start prospecting for gold. They found their way to Pine Creek where they built a home and pegged down the rights to the Enterprise Mine. O`Shea then went on to build a billiard saloon, a hotel and worked on the railway line from Pine Creek to Emungalan from 1917 to 1926.

Location

Address:O`Shea Terrace, O`Shea Park, Katherine, 0850
State:NT
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -14.462786
Long: 132.260222
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Fountain
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:State
Approx. Event Start Date:1860
Approx. Event End Date:1960

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1960
Front Inscription

This Fountain
Was Erected By
Their Family To
The Memory Of 

Timothy And 
Catherine O`Shea.
Early Settlers
Of The District
And To Commemorate
The Northern Territory
   Centenary
     1960.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design