The Duke`s TreePrint Page
Call a spade a spade and you'll have to admit that the two trees planted by the Royal couple near the King's Park War Memorial were planted on March 27, 1954. But the inscription on the Queen's spade reads: With this spade Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II planted a tree on April 1,1954, to commemorate her visit to Western Australia. The inscription on the Duke's spade is similar. The faces of the spades were engraved before the last minute alterations to the Royal tour itinerary were made. The inscriptions were not altered nor were new spades prepared. Whether this was because of lack of time or the whim of an official who saw a chance to keep posterity chuckling over the inscriptions is not known. Before the Duke used his spade, he read the inscription. lt's safe to say that he knew what day it was. The Queen merely gave her spade a glance. The spades themselves have no background of tradition. They are as unsophisticated and workmanlike as the State produced them. Both about four feet long, they have small, steel blades and T-shaped jarrah handles. Before their purchase from a city hardware store they looked like any other spade. The blades were chrome plated and inscribed and the handles polished. The spades are to hang in the board room at King's Park and, no doubt, their inscriptions will make history. The trees they were used to plant were eucalypt camaldulensis, a gum with a medium foliage which grows to a height of 20 to 25 ft.
Western Mail (Perth), 1st April 1954.
|Address:||Fraser Avenue, near War Memorial Concourse, Kings Park , 6005|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.960443|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||27-March-1954|
|Actual Event End Date:||27-March-1954|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 27th March, 1954|
The Duke's Tree
River Red Gum
His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh planted a River Red Gum at this location on 27 March 1954 to commemorate his visit to Perth. After its loss in a storm, a second tree was planted here by HRH the Duke of Edinburgh on 14 November 1962.
Following structural damage to the second tree, it was replaced by this tree in July 2001, grown from a seed collected from the adjacent Queen`s tree.