www.monumentaustralia.org.au

100th Anniversary of St Stephen`s Anglican ChurchPrint Page Print this page

27-March-2016
27-March-2016

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

A stained glass window commemorates the 100th anniversary of St Stephen`s Anglican Church. 

By early 1892, the Adamstown Anglican community had commissioned Newcastle’s leading architect, Frederick Menkens, to draw up an appropriate design for the church. It already had a site, in a commanding position on the crown of a hill. Frederick Menkens, already the architect of a number of magnificent buildings in Newcastle, first designed a brick building, but with funds of only £146.15.3 in hand this proved to be beyond the congregation’s financial means.

Menkens then designed a slightly less elaborate wooden building, for which he submitted plans in October 1892. By 4 November 1892, the foundations and framing of the church had been completed, and the foundation stone was dedicated by the third Bishop of Newcastle, the Rt. Rev. Henry George Stanton, DD .

Location

Address:Brunker Road, St Stephen`s Church, Adamstown , 2289
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.932969
Long: 151.726635
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Actual Event STart Date:04-November-1982
Actual Event End Date:04-November-1992

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1992
Front Inscription

In praise of God

And to commemorate the 100th anniversary of S. Stephens.

1892 - 1992

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design