www.monumentaustralia.org.au

453 Squadron RAAFPrint Page Print this page

02-April-2011
02-April-2011

Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans / Russell Byers

The plaque commemorates the personnel who served in the 453 Squadron Royal Australian Air Force (R.A.A.F.) during World War Two. The plaque location is indicated by a red poppy in the second image. 

No. 453 Squadron is an air traffic control unit of the Royal Australian Air Force. It was established at Bankstown, New South Wales, in 1941 as a fighter squadron, in accordance with Article XV of the Empire Air Training Scheme for overseas service with the Royal Air Force during World War Two . No. 453 Squadron saw combat first in the Malayan and Singapore campaigns of 1941–42. Severe aircraft losses effectively destroyed the squadron and it was disbanded in March 1942. A successor unit by the same name was raised in Britain from mid-1942, to take part in fighting against Nazi Germany in Europe until 1945.

 

Location

Address:Fairbairn & Limestone Avenues, Captain Reg Saunders Courtyard, Australian War Memorial, Campbell, 2612
State:ACT
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.280198
Long: 149.147892
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2
Actual Event STart Date:03-September-1939
Actual Event End Date:15-August-1945

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 1st October, 2002
Front Inscription

453 Squadron flew Buffaloes against the Japanese in Malaya and Singapore 1941 - 1942.  The squadron was reformed in Britain in mid 1942 and flew fighter sweeps over occupied Europe in Spitfires.  453 Squadron supported the D-Day landings and operated from forward airfields in France and Belgium.  The squadron attacked targets in Holland and was part of the Allied occupation of Germany.

Lest We Forget

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design