No.24 SquadronPrint Page
Plaque commemorates the personnel who served in No.24 Squadron during World War Two.
|Address:||Fairbairn & Limestone Avenues, Australian War Memorial Sculpture Garden, Campbell, 2612|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.290169|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
No.24 Squadron RAAF
Formed at Amberley, Queensland, on 17 June 1940, the squadron was one of the first to be involved in action against the Japanese in the South West Pacific area in defence of Australia and its territories.
The squadron reformed in 1942 after savage fighting in defence of Rabaul, operating in a number of theatres, and with a range of aircraft. Disbanded in 1946, the squadron was reformed in 1951 as the City of Adelaide Squadron.
Pacific 1941-45 Rabual 1942 New Britain 1943 Markham Valley 1943-44 New Guinea 1943-44 Darwin 1944 Morotai Borneo 1945
Dedicated by past and present members to those of the squadron who paid the supreme sacrifice