Soldiers Memorial Presbyterian ChurchPrint Page
The Soldiers Memorial Church was erected in memory of local residents who lost their lives in World War One. The church was opened in 1928 by the Governor-General Lord Stonehaven and the dedication was performed by the Moderator-General Dr Scott West, The church has been preserved as part of the KirkPlace development.
The Governor-General (Lord Stonehaven) paid his first official visit to the Kogarah district on Saturday afternoon, when he opened the new Presbyterian Church erected as a memorial to the local residents who lost their lives in the war. It was very difficult, his Excellency said, to know what was an appropriate war memorial, but he thought the most appropriate of all was a church, for the reason that many of them believed that the preparations made by their enemy were so complete that within all human calculations Britain and her Allies should have been beaten within the first six weeks, and that nothing but Divine intervention prevented that happening. He believed that. Then, for those of the congregation who had lost their boys in the war, surely no place could be more appropriate than the House of God as a memorial. The dedication was performed by the Moderator-General (Rev. Dr. Scott West).
Sydney Mail (NSW), 20 June 1928.
|Address:||Derby & Kensington Streets, Kirkplace Presbyteran Church, Kogarah, 2217|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.965894|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 16th June, 1928|
THIS STONE WAS LAID BY
THE VERY REV.R.G.MACINTYRE
C.M.G., O.B.E., M.A.,D.D.,
11th February 1923
Minister Rev. A. Dunnett Robertson