www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Port Victoria Memorial HallPrint Page Print this page

Port Victoria Memorial Hall was erected in memory of the fallen of World War One. The foundation stone was laid in June 1925 and the hall was opened in December of that year.

When, at the close of the war, it was mooted that a memorial should be raised to those who did not return from the war, the local branch of the Red Cross Society gave a surplus funds as a nucleus to a larger fund; to be devoted to the erection of a suitable memorial. Sufficient money was acquired, and the majority of the residents favoured the erection of a new hall, which should be dedicated to the memory of the dead. A strong committee was formed, and for years those men have been labouring with much voluntary assistance, to see the consummation of their memorial. In many cases material was given meant much to the committee, and working bees put in much valuable work on the memorial site. On Saturday, December 12, the members of the Port Victoria Memorial Hall Committee had the satisfaction of seeing the hall opened. A marble tablet was fixed on the eastern wall, and bears the names of 13 men who made the supreme sacrifice.
The Register (Adelaide), 22 December 1925.

Location

Address:Main Street, Port Victoria, 5573
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.497328
Long: 137.484689
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 8th June, 1925
Source: TOH, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design