Hindmarsh Memorial Institute HallPrint Page
Hindmarsh Memorial Institute Hall was erected in memory of those who served in World War One.
Preparations are in hand for the opening of the Hindmarsh Soldiers' Memorial Hall in July. It is more than six years since the movement, was inaugurated, when a carnival realised £800. In consequence of certain Commonwealth decisions, operations in connection with the project were suspended. The project was subsequently revived. The Hindmarsh Town Council, in co-operation with the memorial committee and the Hindmarsh Mechanics' Institute committee, has sufficient funds to allow the work to be proceeded with. The building, which is on corporation property, will cost about £3,000, exclusive of furnishing. The structure consists of eight rooms, and will be occupied by the Hindmarsh Mechanics' Institute Committee.
The Register (Adelaide), 22nd June 1922.
Arrangements have been completed for the opening of the Hindmarsh Soldiers' Memorial Institute, on Saturday week, by
the Lieutenant-Governor (Sir George Murray). A guard of honour, comprised of returned soldiers and the Hindmarsh Volunteer Fire Brigade will be formed in connection with the function. The 'Hindmarsh Band 'will also be in attendance. A tablet will be unveiled in the main entrance of the hall by Mr. W. Wood, an ex-Mayor, who was in office when the proposal to have a soldiers' memorial was launched.
The Register (Adelaide), 5th July 1922
|Address:||262 Port Road, Hindmarsh, 5007|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.903995|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 15th July, 1922|