Hamley Bridge War MemorialPrint Page
Hamley Bridge War Memorial commemorates those who paid the supreme sacrifice and those who served in World War One.
The unveiling of the Soldiers Memorial took place on 11th December 1920 in ideal weather conditions. There were several hundred persons present, including a particularly large contingent from Alma. The Chairman of the District Council of Alma Plains (Mr. E. J. Branson), who presided, stated that the monument was intended to commemorate not only the supreme sacrifice of those who had laid down their lives, but also the services of all the men who had fought for King and country. The cost of the structure had been about £220, and the whole expense had been met. The assembled schoolchildren sang "Song of Australia." The Hon. D. J. Gordon, M.L.C. (President of the Returned Soldiers and Sailors' Fathers' Association of Australia) then unveiled the monument. In doing so he paid a glowing tribute to the splendid spirit of devotion and valour which had been manifested by the Australian soldiers.
The Register (Adelaide), 14th December 1920.
|Address:||Dahlmyra Avenue & Everard Central-Templars Road, Hamley Bridge, 5558|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.356659|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 11th December, 1920|