www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Soldiers Memorial HallPrint Page Print this page

03-May-1923 : Hall dedication : State Library of South Australia - B-1318
03-May-1923 : Hall dedication : State Library of South Australia - B-1318

The Soldiers Memorial Hall was erected in memory of those who fought in World War One.

The foundation stone was laid by the mothers of Gladstone soldiers who fought in the war. It was arranged that eight mothers who had lost a son and seven widows would represent the mothers. Six were present at the ceremony.

A meeting of the Gladstone War Memorial Committee was held in the council chamber on the 1st October 1921 when tenders received for the erection of additions to the present hall were considered.  A ratepayer's meeting will be held at an early date to finalise matters, as there is still approximately £1000 required. It is expected that the foundation stone of the hall will be laid on November 9. The committee tried hard to get the Governor (Sir Archibald Weigall) to perform the ceremony of laying the stone, but his other engagements made that impossible. The hall was opened by the Governor of South Australia, Sir Tom Bridges on the 3rd May 1923.
Recorder (Port Pirie), 5th October 1921, Barrier Miner (Broken Hill, NSW), 4th May 1923.

Location

Address:Fifth Street, Gladstone, 5473
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.267805
Long: 138.355656
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 9th November, 1921
Front Inscription
Soldiers Memorial Hall
Source: MA,TOH
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design