Winchelsea & District Soldiers` MemorialPrint Page
The grandstand at the Eastern Reserve, Winchelsea was erected in 1923 as a functional memorial to the people of Winchelsea and district who served in the armed services in the First World War.
Despite the small population of Winchelsea, funds for a World War One memorial were raised by public donation, resulting in the erection of a substantial grandstand, incorporating the Winchelsea and District Branch of the Returned & Services League (RSL) clubrooms under the seating. It was built by voluntary labour at a cost of £775.The Winchelsea and District Soldiers Memorial Grandstand’ features walls constructed of concrete blocks and a hipped corrugated galvanised iron roof.
The concrete blocks were made on site by H.E. Warner, a local builder, who experimented in concrete constructions. He also patented a concrete fence design, of which several examples survive in Winchelsea. The Winchelsea RSL moved into new clubrooms in the grandstand in 1925.
|Address:||Hopkins Street, Sports Ground, Winchelsea, 3241|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.239597|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Manufacturer:||H. E. Warner|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||1922|
Winchelsea and District Soldiers` Memorial
1914 - 1918
In memory of those who paid the supreme sacrifice in 1914 - 1918
[ Names ]
Lest We Forget