www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Williamstown CenotaphPrint Page Print this page

16-February-2008 (Kent Watson)
16-February-2008 (Kent Watson)

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson / Neil Follett

The Williamstown Cenotaph commemorates those from the district who died in service or were killed in action during World War One. The memorial was unveiled in 1925 and officially dedicated in 1934. 

Armistice Day. At Williamstown the approach of the two minutes silence requested by the Lord Mayor was indicated by the tolling of church bells and shrill blasts from the docks and the vessels in the bay.  At 11 o dock more than 1000 citizens assembled at the memorial to the fallen men of men of the district which has been erected on the foreshore at the corner of Ferguson street and Nelson place. The ceremony of unveiling the monument was performed by the mayor (Councillor J J Liston) with whom were associated the members of the council, the town clerk, and Chaplain Major A.M. Mitchell, representing the State Council of the Returned Sailors and Soldier`s Association. The monument an obelisk of Harcourt granite. It cost £1,521 to which the council made a donation of £1,000, the remaining amount being raised by public subscription. 
Argus (Melbourne), 12 November 1925.


The mayor of Wllliamstown states that the cenotaph is to be dedicated on Armistice day by General Sir Alexander Godley, who commanded the New Zealand forces during the war, and until last year was Governor and Commander in Chief of Gibraltar.
The Age (Melbourne) 7 November 1934. 

Location

Address:Ferguson Street & Nelson Place, Roundabout, Williamstown, 3016
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.859426
Long: 144.902164
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 11th November, 1925
Front Inscription

        LEST
         WE
    FORGET 

 

  1914 -1918

ERECTED BY THE CITIZENS 
OF WILLIAMSTOWN IN HONOUR 
OF HER HEROES WHO FOUGHT
AND WHO DIED FOR FREEDOM IN
THE GREAT WORLD WAR.  

Left Side Inscription

Their Name Liveth
For Evermore
[Names] 



TO THE GLORY OF SERVICE & SACRIFICE
THIS CENOTAPH WAS DEDICATED BY
GENERAL SIR ALEX GODLEY G.C.B., K.C.M.G.
11th NOVEMBER 1934. 

 

 

 

 

Back Inscription

Their Name Liveth
For Evermore
[Names] 
 

THIS MEMORIAL WAS UNVEILED BY
THE MAYOR OF WILLIAMSTOWN
COUNCILLOR J J LISTON ON 11th NOVEMBER 1925

 

 

 

Right Side Inscription
Their Name Liveth
For Evermore
[Names] 
Source: MA,RSLV,SKP
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design