Avenue of HonourPrint Page
The Eurack Avenue of Honour commemorates the 26 soldiers from the district who enlisted during World War One. The 100 metre long avenue honours only those men who had enlisted by 1916, with a memorial board in the Eurack Recreational Hall honouring others who enlisted later. Three trees on the avenue were replaced in 2011.
Each tree is marked with a painted concrete cross, which replaced original wooden crosses, and bears the names of the soldier, or soldiers, it commemorates.
The planting of the Avenue commenced as an Arbour Day project for the Eurack School in May 1916 on the initiative of Lieutenant George Pentreath, then head teacher of the school who enlisted in July 1916. Each tree is marked with a stylised white painted concrete cross bearing the name of the soldier it commemorates inscribed on a black marble plate. The Eurack Avenue of Honour is the earliest known avenue of honour to be planted in Victoria.
Six of the trees are dedicated to brothers. One of the crosses commemorates Lord Kitchener, the British Secretary of State for War who was killed in 1916 when HMS Hampshire struck a mine en route to Russia.
|Address:||Eurack Road, Eurack, 3251|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.145256|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Avenue of Honour|
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||April, 1916|