ANZAC Avenue of RemembrancePrint Page
The Avenue of Remembrance was planted in 1917 to commemorate 80 district men and women who served in World War One.
It stretches westwards on both sides of Cowslip Street (Violet Town-Murchison Road) from the police station to 125 metres west of MacDiamards Road & Orchid Streetintersection, and 100 metres along both side roads.
All plaques were removed in 2014 and refurbished, and old trees were removed and new ones planted. The Avenue was rededicated on 22 March 2015.
|Address:||Violet Town - Murchison Road, Violet Town, 3669|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.635649|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Avenue of Honour|
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 1st September, 1917|
Avenue of Remembrance
1917 ANZAC Avenue
The inauguration of "ANZAC Avenue" at Violet Town on Saturday does honour to the residents, as well as to the devoted band of nurses and soldiers whose memory it will hand down to generations yet unborn.
No better idea has been evolved for honouring soldiers than the living honour-board which in days to come will stretch from Violet Town along the Murchison Road, forming a handsome approach to the town, and each tree being a speaking testimony to the worth and public appreciation of the district lad or lass who answered the call of empire, and cheerfully gave up worldly prospects,health, life, that the future of the race might be unclouded by the horrors of militarism as represented by the mail clad fist of Germany.
The gentlemen who originated and carried out the movement are to be complimented, and it will be the duty of the townspeople to foster and care for the avenue, making and keeping it "a thing of beauty and a joy forever". Its loveliness should increase each year, and the sublime memories associated with it will be renewed annually as its blood-blooms signalise the present day awful conditions in Europe.
Tuesday Sept 4th, 1917. Source : Violet Town Sentinel
Centenary of ANZAC 2015
The renovation of the original 1917 ANZAC Avenue honouring 80 district men and women who served on the Gallipoli Peninsula and Western Front has been rededicated this day, 22nd March 2015 by the families and the Violet Town community. A further 80 trees were planted in 1918 around the town, in Tulip Street and Kelly`s Road.
Lest We Forget