www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Battle of Lone PinePrint Page Print this page

14-April-2019
14-April-2019

Photographs supplied by Heather Stevens

The pine tree was planted by the Turkish Vice-Consul and a Federal Member of Parliament to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Lone Pine and was part of the ANZAC Commemoration programme in 2015.   Funding was received through the ANZAC Centenary Grants Program. 

The Battle of Lone Pine was fought between Australian and Ottoman Empire forces during the Gallipoli Campaign of World War One, between 6 and 10 August 1915

The Lone Pine was the name given to a solitary tree on the Gallipoli Peninsula in Turkey, which marked the site of the Battle of Lone Pine in 1915 during World War One and it was the sole survivor of a group of trees that had been cut down by Turkish soldiers who had used the timber and branches to cover their trenches.

The tree was obliterated during the battle; however, pine cones that had remained attached to the cut branches over the trenches were retrieved by two Australian soldiers and brought home to Australia. Private Thomas Keith McDowell, a soldier of the 23rd Battalion brought a pine cone from the battle site back to Australia, and many years later seeds from the cone were planted by his wife's aunt Emma Gray of Grassmere, near Warrnambool, Victoria and five seedlings emerged, with four surviving. These seedlings were planted in four different locations in Victoria: Wattle Park (May 8, 1933), the Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne (June 11, 1933), the Soldiers Memorial Hall at The Sisters near Terang (June 18, 1933) and Warrnambool Botanic Gardens (January 23, 1934).

The Shrine of Remembrance's Pine was felled in August 2012 and the timber used as part of a remembrance project, after a disease known as Diplodia pinea or blue stains fungus as it commonly called killed it.

Another soldier, Lance Corporal Benjamin Smith from the 3rd Battalion, also retrieved a cone and sent it back to his mother (Mrs McMullen) in Australia, who had lost another son at the battle. Seeds from the cone were planted by Mrs McMullen in 1928, from which two seedlings were raised. One was presented to her home town of Inverell (New South Wales) and the other was forwarded to Canberra where it was planted by Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester at the Australian War Memorial in October 1934.

Location

Address:303 Queen Street , Dredges Cottage, Campbelltown, 2560
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.070163
Long: 150.811038
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Tree
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Link:http://www.dva.gov.au/consultation-…

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 7th August, 2015
Front Inscription

Plaque :

This tree was planted by Vice-Consul Cafer Asik representing the Turkish Government and the Federal Member for Macarthur Mr Russell Matheson MP

To commemorate 100 years after the Battle of Lone Pine (Kahn Surt) 6 - 10 August 1915 and was part of Federal Government ANZAC Commemoration Program 2015

David Pownall     John MacDonald
President             President
VRC                     WAA

7th August 2015


 

Source: DVA, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design