St Joseph`s Soldiers Memorial HallPrint Page
St Joseph`s Soldiers Memorial Hall commemorates those from the church who lost their lives in World War One.
Terowie. April 26. After the morning Mass yesterday the Bishop of Port Augusta, assisted by Archdeacon Boyle and the Rev. F. Henschke, blessed and laid the foundation-stone of the Roman Catholic Fallen Soldiers' Memorial Hall adjoining the convent of St Joseph. When completed it will be a fine structure. The architect is Mr J Jenkins, of Port Pirie, and the contractor Mr. F. W. Haise, of Jamestown. The building will be 54 ft. in length, 26 ft. in width, and 15 ft. high, with Gothic entrance, 14 ft., by 9 ft., carrying triple Gothic memorial windows. At the rear will be an ante-room 28 ft, by 10 ft. The Bishop complimented the clergy and people of the diocese on their zeal in erecting such a useful memorial. A big impetus to the idea was given by the estate of the late Private J. Liddy having been donated to the funds by his sister, Mrs. J. Pick, supplemented by generous donations by the Pick family and other church adherents. There was a big attendance present.
Chronicle (Adelaide), 1 May 1920.
Note : Believe this hall may be a private residence
|Address:||Frederick & Mitchell Streets, Terowie, 5421|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.14811|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Designer:||Mr J Jenkins (architect-Port Pirie)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Mr F.W. Haise (builder- Jamestown)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 25th April, 1920|
SOLDIERS MEMORIAL HALL.
A.M.D.G. ST JOSEPH`S MEMORIAL HALL.
IN MEMORY OF OUR FALLEN SOLDIERS. 25 . MARCH . 1920