Brandon War MemorialPrint Page
Brandon War Memorial was originally erected to commemorate the men of Brandon who had fallen in World War One. An additional plaque was added to the memorial at a later date to commemorate the fallen of World War Two.
In 2006, to celebrate the Delta Iron Works foundry’s centenary year, the owners of the foundry (Green family) commissioned a new memorial as a gift to the Brandon community. The cairn and flag pole were relocated further back within the park and a cast bronze sculpture of a First World War soldier carrying a replica of Brandon’s captured German gun was affixed atop the cairn. A bronze dedication plaque was added to the cairn to commemorate the unveiling of the new memorial which occurred on 23 September 2006.
The original statue unveiled in 1924 also featured a machine gun. The Brandon gun was captured by the 14th Battalion, First Australian Imperial Force, at Villers-Bretonneux, France, on 29 April 1918. The machine gun allocated to the town was taken down from on top of the town`s war memorial during World War Two and is now missing. Some say it was buried to deny it to the Japanese if they had invaded eastern Australia while others believe it was melted down for scrap metal.
|Address:||Bruce Highway & Spillers Street, Brandon, 4808|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -19.554167|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 21st September, 1924|